Here it is almost 2 months since I did any "real" work on a project......man I hate all this downtime. I'm just itching to get back in there and get started on the next adventure. (I bet you are ready too huh?).....just so that you don't get the idea that I've been lounging around drinking beer and watching TV, I thought it might be nice to give you a look at what I've been working on for the past 2 months......
Well as most of you probably already know, Mrs. Ryan and I just moved into a new home and this one is on a big chunk of land with no deed restrictions, so naturally the first order of business was to design and build a new magnificent workshop hahahaha. We looked at all sorts of options and finally decided on a pre-built shell as a starting point. This would give me a HUGE head start, and would cost less than doing it all from scratch. (the downtime would have killed me hahaha).
Here is a picture of the basic building shell being delivered, it came in on a flat bed trailer and was dumped off where I wanted it. Here are some pictures of this process. Picture1 Picture2 Picture3
Ok so this all happened about a month ago.....so where are we now? Getting real close ole' buddy.
I started by designing a floor plan that would allow me to do the maximum amount of "stuff" in the minimum amount of space. The basic shell as delivered is just a gutted out box with 2x4 walls and an aluminum skin....it was up to me to do all the finish work.
Mrs. Ryan insists on using a portion of the new shop for garden tool and tractor storage. She said that if we are going to do this.....then she wants to have her Garage back (entirely). So when the shell was made, I had a big set of locking double doors placed in the Eastern end of the shell and a single door placed on the north side about 8 feet from the corner. This would allow me to build a wall to separate the workshop from the storage area, and still have all the access I needed. The storage area has the big doors so I can drive the mower right in and park it....and the side door is so I can get into the workshop. There will be no door between the two parts (not yet at least hahahaha).
I also wanted to be able to continue the RCG-TV series and make it even better, so I designed in a small production studio that would overlook the main workshop floor and give me a control booth to use for the next season. Here is a picture of the basic floor plan that we started with.......
The first order of business was to take the floorplan and bring it to life with actual walls.....Here is a picture of the interior walls as seen from the West end. And this picture shows the view from the East end......
The really BIG job was going to be running electricity to feed the new shop....luckily for me I know the best man for the job, my buddy Dave took the helm and handled all the details of collecting wire, pipes, fasteners and everything else. Then when we had it all collected, we had a cookout and invited over some "workin buddies" to help run the wiring. While we were at it we also ran water, CAT-5, Cable (coax) and phone. That was about 2 weeks ago.......once the power was run the next step (and most important) was to get that #$@! Air Conditioner cranked up....hahahaha.
The Video control booth is a prominent part of the new shop and will (hopefully) add a new dimension to what we can do with future projects. I want to make it so that you can all join me and really feel like you are standing next to me in the shop. I wish you could be here in real life, but this should be the next best thing......I really like having the company on those long nights in the shop....and I always learn more when we can share our experiences. So I made a pledge a while back to all the visitors of this website, that I would always "Put my money where my mouth is" and I intend to do just that. The new studio is small, but it'll be absolutely "state of the art" when I'm finished. There is a huge 6' x 5' double insulated plexiglass observation window that looks out over the shop, Video and audio feeds from 5 cameras, computer and internet connection, phone service and live webcam support (for the future). This picture shows the wood framing so you can get an idea how big this window is. All this was built about one week ago. And this picture shows the junction of where the audio and video feeds terminate inside the studio.
Ok so what have I done this week?? Well this week was spent doing all the interior electrical wiring, installing outlets, phone outlets, video feed sockets, lights and insulation.....I'm making a final push to get all the insulation finished so that I can use the long 3-day weekend to finish the workshop. It's gonna be a heck of a final push, but I'm ready to get back in the shop so it's a sacrifice I'm willing to take.....
Here are some pictures of how the shop looks today....
Picture1 - West Wall and A/C
Picture2 - 12' bank of lights
Picture3 - The entryway and power box
Picture4 - The Studio
Picture5 - view from the studio onto the main floor
Picture6 - Camera video feed jack (these are scattered around everywhere)
Picture7 - The beast sits patiently waiting to get back to work (soon)
Well.....there you have it. That's a rundown of what's been happening. Look for some major changes very soon. We are almost ready !!!